Thursday 25 June 2020

Will an Ostomy stop me from playing basketball


Basketball is a way of life for most people that live in the state that I live in.  When the Pandemic happened and all local courts shut down the basketball courts, we almost had riots.  The government took down the rims that our tax dollars paid for and told us that it was illegal and threatened to arrest us for playing basketball.  Now I must say that was absolutely crazy and almost caused riots in our city.  I say all this to show how important the sport is in our state.  This is a big deal and when I was asked by someone about to get an ostomy surgery they asked if basketball was going to end for them. 

The first thing I was able to tell him was a wonderful thing.  I put a big smile on my face and was able to tell him that it was not going to end for him.  Basketball is most definitely a good possibility to be able to be played in your future. Unless there is a medical reason you shouldn't a stoma generally won't keep you off the court.  I will suggest getting some good gear though. I like to use ostomy Supplies when I play basketball. 

ConvaTec Ostomy Supplies has been really good about helping me choose the right gear for athletic adventures.  I ended up using their recommendation for a bag that had loops for a elecastic belt. Using a belt to strap things down helped keep it all from moving and it really helped me be able to keep up my game.  They are also really good about giving advice on lots of different sports and outings.  So I would suggest giving them a call or heck most ostomy brands are really good and helpful.  This is an industry that is really out to help its customers live a regular and happy life.


I will say when you are about to get started after surgery don't play hard right off the bat.  I would suggest starting slow. You are now more likely more susceptible to hernias and your abdominal muscles are a bit weaker. You just had surgery. So don't jump into being super athletic right off the bat.  Now you need to now work your way up to being that athletic again and practice really lightly to start. Try new gear and don't just hit up the first 5 on 5 game at the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment